Back Care: Breathe into the upper back as the shoulder blades are supported and gently drawn away from the ears towards the kidneys. Keep the knees bent with the small of the low back supported by pressing the souls of the feet down and lengthening the tailbone slightly towards the heels. The arms extend over head with the palms facing the sun. The upper "thoracic" spine draws inward while lifting thru the center of the sternum. With each inhalation, open the chest and broaden sideways thru the collarbones.
Modification(s): To support the neck and head, interlace the hands behind the head and lengthen the neck from the base of the skull lifting thru the hairline to tuck the chin. On the in breath, allow the lungs and rib cage to expand like the gills of a fish. Exhale emptying the breath completely... and Repeat.
Bridge Pose Benefits:
• Stretches the Chest, Neck, Spine, & Hips
• Strengthens the Back
• Improves Blood Circulation
• Boosts the Immune System
• Calms the Brain & Nervous System
• Stimulates the Lungs & Thyroid Glands
• Improves Digestion
• Reduces Fatigue, Anxiety, & Insomnia
• Relieves Asthma & High Blood Pressure
• Therapeutic for Hypertension
Modifications: Slide a yoga block under the sacrum to support the pelvis.